Wednesday, August 29, 2018

109 Land Rover, changing the engine yet again.....Part 1

Man, where do I start? Probably by turning on the Wayback Machine Sherman.

If you have been a follower(and one of the few subscribers, thank you) You will know some of the history of my 1960 109. If not a brief recap:
Purchased in 2011 was a petrol 2.25.
Changed engine to a 2.5DT during a 4 year rebuild
That motor literally ate itself up with bad cam rollers
Swapped in a "good" 200TDI from a Discovery
While that motor ran well enough it had oil leaking out the orifices after the head
Had a head job done thinking maybe valves and seals
no real help, so in early June of this year I swapped heads
Still leaking oil out the exhaust junctions

Here's a pic of the intake/exhaust ports after just a 5 min warm up with the new head.



I didn't even drive it anywhere.....I figured it must be rings.

So I began a search online looking at ads and asking on LR forums. I emailed a couple of vendors and got a good reply and fair reviews from Beaumont Landrovers, http://www.beaumontlandrovers.co.uk/
   I dealt with Howard, and though the communication was a little dodgy in that I would ask 3-4 questions and only get a partial reply to 1 of them, a deal was struck. I sent a bank transfer and they shipped the long block. They were not the cheapest nor the most expensive.
    That is where things kinda went south. Fedex was the shipper and when the long block got over here they needed me to fill out a form. I waited on them, and waited, finally Howard emailed me and gave me a contact number and email. They had told him they couldn't get a hold of me. The telemarketers got thru....
    So I called Fedex and talked to this gal who seemed bored to death and she emailed me a link to fill out the customs form for an engine. I looked at it and emailed back it's not an engine it's a partial, rebuilt, used engine block. A week goes by and no response. Howard again, "They can't get a hold of you." So I call again and wait 73 min on hold and finally get through to Ms. Bored. She calls the Customs laison about the form. He says yep, gotta fill it out. So I do. It's been TWENTY DAYS in Fedex hands!!!!!!!!!!!

   Couple of days later it's scheduled for delivery on a Monday. Monday morning the driver calls and asks if he can get his truck to my house. I had had Howard tell Fedex they needed a small delivery truck for the delivery. His concern is the low trees in the neighborhood. I asked him how big a truck you got, and he replies a 30'r. I tell him he'll never get it up the hill due to a large dip in the road where other trucks and RV's have gotten stuck in the past, get a smaller truck. They delay the delivery until Tuesday when they have a 20'r available.
    Tuesday rolls around and he calls from a bout a mile away and I go out to meet him down the hill. He shows up in a 20' truck that's about 14' tall and he's afraid to take it under some trees next to my house so he pulls these turning around shennagians and parks on the road. Luckily he has a pallet jack and lift gate and it all gets to my house OK from there. Fedex Customs charges were; $32.67

I had already done all the work in getting the 109 apart and the engine pulled. I used the block in the 109 as and engine stand to take off the head and timing cover and all the outside stuff.



The most difficult part to remove was the crank damper. LR calls for a special tool LST136, which I don't have and wasn't willing to buy unless I HAD TOO. They are costly online. I borrowed a neighbors gear puller and had a go at it.



It didn't move a thing and only looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Soooo, I did what any redblooded American redneck would do; I made one like the LR tool. Took a day or so but I made one and it worked.


You can see here it's pulling on down the shaft;



Once that was out of the way  I could see that the crankshaft was buggered up and I could now remove the timing cover.




   All along I was taking pics of things I would need to put back on so I would know how they went, such as the back of the alternator wiring and the belt layout. I pictured the timing pulley's and belts.

I removed the fuel lift pump and vacuum pump.



   My next hurdle was taking the frelling crankshaft timing gear off.



The book says; " If the crankshaft gear wheel cannot be removed by hand, use special tool 18G 1464-2...." Guess what?, mine didn't come off by hand, neither did I have that tool. So I improvised! I tried using the plate from my timing kit but the 6mm allthread wasn't strong enough to resist the twisting/pulling forces required and they broke. So much for removing by hand.......




Back to the fabrication and making of my version of 18G 1464-2. I won't bore you with the details here's some of the pics, let's just say it took a couple of tries and holes saws and a day to make.






But it worked!



You can see that I had to brace the gear puller to keep it from twisting. Once the gear was off you can see the condition of the crankshaft. Looks to me like something got loose and spun on it at some point. So much for a "good" engine.



After some cleaning and sanding I got the gear to slide on/off by hand.



Now the engine block was bare and it was time to pull it out. This was Jun 21, 2018.




At this point I think I'll stop because the post is getting too long and I have much more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment