Friday, June 17, 2016

Rocky Mountain spring bushing problem, on Land Rover 109

Well, to be honest I don't yet know if it is a problem or an issue. Before I did this work I sent off the first pics to Jeremy at RM and followed it up with a phone call. He said he had never seen this happen before and agreed that my idea for fixing it was a good way to go.

   I had become aware of some suspension klunks when the 109 was leaning while driving. They were coming from the front springs at the rear. Climbing under the 109 to investigate I found that the inboard side of both the front spring bushings had migrated out and climbed over the boss on the threaded portion of the shackle.

Right and left sides;




   As you may be aware the process in re-installing them is; jack up the axle until the body is well above the ground and then I put a jackstand on a pile of wood blocks to hold the chassis up and I could dangle the axle. With the axle suspended I could manipulate the jack to take the tension off the rear pin and remove the nuts and pins and ultimately the shackle side.

Below is a pic of the shackle side with the bushing pressed on to the boss.



One can see that it has migrated fully over the boss in the next pic;



    Suspecting that I would need the full fender washer I bought an array of washers with 9/16" ID's and various OD's. Only the fender washers were 1/2" ID so I had to drill them out to 9/16".



Using the bushing I checked the sizing to make sure which one I though would hold the bushing in place best.





    Yeah, the fender washer while the thinnest would also offer the full coverage of the bushing.

    So jockeying the spring up and down I was able to line up the holes for the bolts and the springs and re-install the pins(technical term LR used for the bolts). After both sides were done the 109 was moved a bit and then the bolts and nuts were torqued to 70ft-lbs.

Looking at the loosely installed washer set up;



   On the left side the exhaust down pipe was in the way and I had to go buy a 13/16" combo wrench or drop the down pipe and use the socket. I bought the combo..........



The process was the same, jack up the frame and suspend the axle and then remove and replace the bushing and add the fender washer.

                                         ^^^^^That's as far as I could get the bushing in.

When it is all tight it looks the same as the other side.



Here's what they look like on the ground from the side all tightened up.




   I hope this works!!!!

Update July 5, 2016;

I haven't driven it much since the washers were installed and do not have any real confidence in the RM springs.

     After some email exchanges with Jeremy at Rocky Mountain who thinks my 109 is overweight and beyond the design limits of his springs. I searched the internet and found that fully loaded I am under the Land Rover maximum GVWR. Since I am having issues with the parabolics I am going to remove them and put on the HD ones which came with the vehicle or/and if they fail go with the 1 ton springs. I have purchased some new 11 leaf front springs. This will be covered in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment