Thursday, June 2, 2016

Land Rover 109 second cot

I needed to make a second cot for sleeping inside the 109 for my girlfriend. With the help of Glenda we modified a "big man" cot and I made another set of tubes to hold it in place. A set of "J" hooks along the side and a end "U" bracket for the bulkhead. On the foot end I did something different; I drilled a hole in the tubing to insert the leg and hold the tube up. Across the end I used the double ended dumbbell spreader bar.



This gave us 5 inches of space between the two cots, just enough for my fat calves. The only bad thing was that with a body in the cot there was so much tension on the spreader bar that if it was bumped it would fly off and the cot collapse.





 I intend to get more 1/2" rod and make a spreader bar that will have a circle at one end and will fit into a hole drilled in the tube on the other side. My plan will also include modifying the "U" end by putting a small end plate on the "U" and a corresponding slot in the tube.




We slept nicely in the 109, over 5 nights, a couple of which were windy. It was easier to unload the 109 and set up the cots than to set up the roof top tent. Most of my stuff in the 109 is in Pelican cases or Action Packer boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment