Sunday, April 10, 2016

Land Rover 109 turbo repaired

OK then! The turbo was returned by Invasion Auto Products but things looked a lot different.

Damn! I lost that picture!

OH! Oh!  I found it! Whew...



Now there were 4 holes in the cartridge instead of the 2 I sent it off with. My original had an inlet(top) an outlet(bottom). This has 1 on every side, I was very confused and frustrated thinking they had sent me an unuseable turbo. So I made a phone call and Samson explained that this would work but was designed for a water cooled turbo and I could just ignore the water ports.

more box pics;




I had to then take it apart and re-orient the oil ports and align the intake and exhaust ports. At the same time I had it apart it was taken to The Hose Shop where I sourced some JIC fittings to plug the water ports. Here's pics of it reassembled;





Then began the re-installing procedure. Bolt on the turbo, fit the oil lines fit the exhaust elbow and downpipe, hook up the air cleaner and vacuum and then take it for a test drive the next day.

I went a mile round trip to the Post Office and back only to discover oil leaking profusely from the oil return line. I re-tightened it and cleaned it up and tried again......re-tightened again and cleaned it up..."It canna take much more, Captain!" even on idle it leaked but there at least I could see it was between the tubing and the fitting, not the turbo and the fitting.

Doomed, doomed I tell ya!

So next day I removed the oil return line and cleaned it all up and looked for cracks. There is some suspicious areas but I saw no clear crack.




I thought I would make up a new tube so I went down again to The Hose Shop. There I bought some more of the hose to connect to the bottom of the return and the engine and found out that the fitting is 7/8" x 18tpi if any one needs to know. Remember though this is for the 19J 2.5DT engine. The Hose Shop convinced me I could use these copper flare seals instead of a new pipe.



Which fit like so;



So once home I tried and I tried and I tried to fit the damn things! I could get them to fit only if the bottom hose was disconnected. Then my tired mind had an epiphany! I should bend the tubing to make the hose fit better! It took a few tries of lining things up and then heating and bending but at last I got it.



I put the washer in and tightened down the fitting and the hose clamps and fired it up...............................



NO LEAKS!

So far I have put about 30 miles on it with no external oil leaks! A milestone for me. Now I am monitoring the engine oil level to see if I have any blowby in the rings.

While all this was going down I added a "fence" to the front of my cubby box because it was simple to put things there whilst driving and not want to have them wind up on the floor. I did this by bending some 2" x 1/8" flat stock and simply pop riveting it to the cubby box and coating the fence in bed liner.



And installed;



You can see the fence clears the Roamerdrive handle. If needed I can install some type of circle cutouts for cupholders if the ones on the dash do not work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment