Thursday, April 28, 2016

building an awning for my 109 Land Rover

Ah, yes, another offering to the vast unwashed(it's a joke!).

I was preparing to go on a camping trip and because the forecast was for rain I thought I could whip up a awning out of a tarp I have.  Now my tarp is only 5' x 6' so it is a small awning but it would provide 2 peoples with some protection.

First I had to figure out how to hold it up. On the 109 side I could fasten it to the roof rack with some carabiners and bungee cord.




On the open end it would need a support and attachment points an possibly anchor points for guy wires. I had made an awning once before for my old 109 but never used it as job and family got in the way. I decided to use that design and parts for the new one. As I had already made a couple of  3 ended corners and still had the support poles I just had to adapt the tarp.

     By adding a couple of rows of grommets to the long edge of the tarp I could fold the end over the support pole and "stitch" it on with some parachute cord I had. So I marked holes and punched them out with Glenda's help and put in the grommets and stitched it up.




     Next I cut down the electrical conduit I had for the cross bar.



Then I clipped it to the roof rack and put the crossbar in and measured for the support bars and cut them to be 6'. With the corners in the support and crossbar I could stake it out and figure out the side bars length.




    Eventually I got the side bars done and it will sit self supported.



Then we didn't need it on the camp out....... But I have it and it will work. Rain or shine!

19 Jab 2022 UPDATE;

This proved to be too small and I abandoned it for a roof rack mounted 270° awning.

No comments:

Post a Comment