Sunday, January 18, 2015

Land Rover engine swap begun

   I got off my ass today and reluctanly started in on the engine swap. I say reluctantly cause I'm tired of working on this thing and I am still frustrated that it broke and I didn't make my trip I had hoped for to Death Valley in it.

   So I thought I would just take off the flywheel and the flywheel housing assembly as I was told I would need it for the 200tdi to mate with the Series bell housing. I knew it would be hard cause the flywheel bolts are torqued to 70# if I remember correctly (IIRC). This meant the engine would turn when I tried to turn the bolts.
    First I removed the clutch and pressure plate, I reinstalled the bolts in the flywheel and used one of them to brace a metal bar on the frame to keep the flywheel from moving. It worked and I got them all undone and removed the flywheel, then I put those bolts back in the back of the crank.
    Once the flywhell was out I could see that the rear mainseal needed to be replaced but I am not going to worry about it as I am going to shitcan this motor.


   Next I went to take off the flywheel housing, but first had to remove the starter. That's when all hell broke loose. To do this I was doing fine with undoing just the starter then I couldn't get good access to one of the bolts. So off came the exhaust manifold and then the intake manifold and a loosening of the exhaust downpipe.
    With this out of the way I could get the starter out. Then returned inside to remove the flywheel housing, using a 17mm socket and a 18" cheater bar I broke loose the 6 bolts hidden behind the flywheel but the housing refused to move. That's when I found the 2 external bolts on the top on the housing, the first one came out easy but the next was to prove difficult as I could not fit a socket or a wrench on it from the inside. Going back outside I could turn it with a combo wrench and it came most of the way out before the bulkhead interfered.
   



So then I drained the oil, removed part of the fan shroud I made along with the fan and belts, disconnected the power steering pump and removed it and the alternator. I pretty much have the LHD side done and I was 3 hours late for lunch so I cleaned everything up and stopped for the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment