Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Land Rover air filter

     Well, It's not really Rover, but it is on my Rover. I looked around and found that K&N make a conical filter with a conical airbox. They call it Apollo. http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm
    I was hoping that somehow I could combine the KN with the mushroom top for the raised air intake. I found an Apollo on Ebay slightly used in that it was only trial fitted and not used. Once it showed up comparing it with the shroom top it was clear that it would not be an easy fab to combine the 2 systems. So for now I have aborted that idea.  :^( I know it can be done I just do not have the resources.
   So on to the fitting of the KN; the turbo has a 51mm intake the KN a 70mm outlet so an adapter was sourced from HPS  http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/?gclid=CJC0qK7nyLgCFUFyQgodEiQAtg

At the same time I bought a 90 elbow in 70mm to come off the front of the adapter included in the KN kit. Once that showed up I went to work and took off the foam motorcycle filter and put on the adapter and then the Apollo.

     Then the front adapter was fitted, this necks it down from 102mm to 70mm. Since this is a push on connection it is a concern for watertightness if wading.

     You can also see that the vaccum controls coming off the turbo are not good so later I rerouted them.
     From this point on I really tried hard to figure out how I can do a raised air intake, tastefully anyway. I thought of this and that but nothing was fitting. It became a matter of moving the radiator or the air filter.


     So for now I will keep designing some way to do one in my head and stay out of deep water. I would like to move the intake out of the warm engine bay at a minimum.
     Here's where it is for now;


     You can see the vaccum hoses were switched and rerouted to clear the filter housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment