Saturday, July 6, 2013

Land Rover 109 runs...sort of

OK, so I put on the door cards after the lock barrels came in. I now have all 3 doors keyed alike.
     I used wood clamps to hold the card to the door while I drilled holes and put in screws.
     The spare tyre was set in place on the inside tray. It is not the same width as the road tyres but the same height so it can get me out to where I might be able to fix the flat.


     I actually have driven it about 100 miles now. There were some things I had wrong. You heard about the brake calipers already, and the charge lite. Now after driving it and being confirmed by a friend, the power steering wasn't working.
     So back online looking for pics and routing diagrams and a email to Timm Cooper confirmed I had the hoses running incorrectly. Again a trip to the Hose Shop with the hose ends needed and got the correct ones made up. I came home and in between helping the plumber fix a pipe under my house the offense was put right.
     Haven't driven it yet as I have discovered an exhaust leak somewhere around the manifold.

     On another front I ordered mirror arms for the hinges. I wanted Part # MRC56 but could only find #MRC4583. Supposedly it fit Series 3 hinges.
When they came I knew it was too large compared to the ones on my 88. I also discovered it did not come with the bracket to mount. So those were ordered Part #347704 and 347705, right and left. When those showed up I was exasperated! Yes they would fit the hinge but not the arms....*&*&^%$%$  So email Mark at Craddocks went back and forth then pictures. Oh the style I have thru bolt the later style style Series 3 hinges. The MRC56 arms are no longer made. There is no bracket adapting the MRC4583 to the Series 2/2a hinge.
     So I searched the web.............nothing. Couldn't find any MRC56's or adapting brackets..................
    Soooo I made my own! Using 14ga sheet metal I cut out 2 pieces, 3.5x2.5". Marking a 1' line I used that for the hinge side. Then inserted in my vise and bent it with heat at a 90 degree. This 90 I set on top of a piece of 1/2" tubing and bent it again in the opposite direction creating a kinda Z shape. Then drilled for the hinge holes and the mirror arm holes---both different. Painted, dried and mounted. Mounting was a pain in the a** having to readjust the doors.
     Anywho here's the pics;




 Now I'm going to try to load a video of the first test drive. The one I found out the brakes weren't working good on.
 
Wow it worked!
 
So here is a pic of the front of the 109 with all the mirrors on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment