Friday, March 15, 2013

Horn for the 109

Well, I was ill for a week with a cold so that took me out of my stride. Was actually about 9 days to feel 100% again.
I put an airhorn on my Land Rover. No not one of the great huge things. A small one that's loud and distinctive. I had put one(Stiebel) previously on my Suzuki DL650 V-Strom and it works a peach!
I bought one at my FLAPS(Friendly local auto parts store) O'Reilly's. This one was a "Bad boy" brand.

In order to mount it I had to find the horn wiring in the loom and figure the mounting from there. I was able to put it in front of the battery, bolted to the battery tray. The horn system is a one wire circuit from the horn button with the ground going thru the horn motor/housing. Easy peasy.


I bought an aluminum hawse for my winch and put it on. I then stamped my winch, bumper and hawse with my last name incase of theft.




I ordered a valve for my brake servo so the vacuum pump could be hooked up. Well it came in this week and turns out it don't fit! WTF? The new valve is too large to even go into the bare hole let alone with a seal. I'm currently checking with the supplier about different sizes. The supplier of my servo listed it as coming off a 1983 Land Rover Series 3. The pics show the old and new seals, old one has the smaller end hole, and the valve fitment to the servo. I don't find anything online about 2 sizes............when will it end?

Been having issues with the wiring loom too...............the brake wiring was set up for RHD not LHD. The wiring in the dash ends with mostly ring terminals----all the switches are spade connectors....To do it all over again I'd build my own loom and forget Autosparks and thier US pawn British Wiring. On the good side Autosparks has been answering some of my email questions.
I feel over my head with the wiring. There are some wires not listed in the diagrams in the loom and some in the diagrams not in the loom. Total SNAFU in my book. But between the Series 2-2a-3-110(19j motor) wiring diagrams I am getting some of it worked out. I now have brake lights that function off the pedal, headlights(not sure the dip switch works right) and running lights front and rear. I may need to pay for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment