Monday, February 25, 2013

Land Rover inspection sockets












Hey, I spent part of the day refurbishing my old broken inspection sockets. What I did was take the old ones apart and figure what I had lying around to make new ones with. Deciding on some 1/4"ID rubber hose for the black(ground) side witha a 1/2" OD. The holes in the dash were .44 so I used my Dremel tool to grind off some of the OD on the tubing and again on the ID to make the recess for the  socket to sit slightly below the level of the front. The hard bit was finding something red and insulating for the power(positive) side. Looking around I found and old bent screwdriver with a red plastic handle. Putting the shaft in my cordless Bosch drill I ground the handle round down to the half inch diameter needed. Then with a hacksaw I cut off the required cross section and put it in my vise for my Craftsman bench drill press. I used a 1/4" drill to put a thru hole and a 21/64 for the countersink. again the Dremel was used to cut the lip for the inset of the hole. The liberal use of a fine file made the base low enough to fit the thickness of the dash. Too thick and it won't tighten up.

No comments:

Post a Comment