Friday, February 8, 2013

109 front bumper

Last September I decided that I wanted a raised end bumper. Checking into it I found that Doug Shipman of Portland, Oregon (503.252.5566) is the orginator and still makes them. We talked on the phone and he said he was making a batch in Dec. I called him late Nov and ordered one with mount for a Warn 8274 and winch eyes. So time dragged on and the galvanizer delayed things but finally it came last Wed via UPS.
So I put it on. Not without the usual trials and tribulations though. It went on well enough at first but I couldn't get the RH side in far enough. At first I thought perhaps the bumper was ill fitting. But No, further investigation showed a blob of galvy on the underside of the RH chassis horn. I broke out the Dremel tool again and ground away the zinc to fit.
Once that was done I slid the bumper on and had to redrill the mounting holes as they didn't quite line up. I used a 3/8 bit and put 3/8x4 UNF grade 8 bolts in.
Then the Warn 8274 was mounted. I still need to get some line and a fairlead for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment