Friday, February 22, 2013

109 wiper moter cover



Well, I put in some Rivnuts to hold the wiper motor cover plate. I used 10-32 Rivenuts, they are the same size as the screws which hold the top of the dash in position.(IIRC) I used a Rivet Nut Tool from www.rivetnuttool.com. I like the ease of use and the cost for this occasionally used tool for the handyman. So once I decided on the size to use I drilled out the hole and filed a small notch in the hole to keep the rivenut from turning. Then I put the rivenut on the tool and inserted it in the hole and pulled the slide up tight! Presto the rivnut was installed! I also put the drivers seat in. Again I used 2 thick stainless washers in the front and 1 in the rear. Next was to put in the lid for the underseat box. That was when I found out I had used the wrong lid. I restored a used lid I had instead of the orginal lid thinking they were all the same size. The orginal lid had the hinges at the rear and with the Defender seats I would not be able to lift the lid for access. Well the "new" lid braces on the inside are 1" wider than the opening to the box. So the old lid was dug out, the hinges removed and paint removed. Primered with self etching primer from Duplicolor dried overnight and sprayed with Duplicolor Caterpillar yellow paint. Now this is the NEW Cat yellow and not a match for the OLD Cat I used on the 109. But it was easier and mostly hidden under the seat. Once the lid was in I discovered I would need an additional thick washer in the front on the left side for the slide arm to clear the lid when lifted in the sliding position. Then the seat cushion was installed and I climbed aboard. I find the command position higher in the drivers side than my 88 with stock seats. Not a big deal unless at a stop light. Maybe I can figure a mirror system to see the lights. Here's a pic with both the seats installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment