Saturday, September 24, 2011

109 teardown- engine fitting

Hey there,

Well got the petrol motor out and set off to the side. Moving the hoist around on my rock drive is a bear, even with plywood.
Over the week I recieved my door bottoms that were slightly dented in shipping. It's a shame but Oh well. they came from the UK by post and spent 9 days in Customs(?).
I also recieved my springs and shocks from Rocky Mountain in Canada. ( www.parabolicsprings.com ) My house is piling up with parts.........
I can't wait until it starts to go together!

So Brian came over and we put down more plywood and screwed it together. It is better but a flat drive would be nice. The hoist wants to roll downhill with all that weight on it. The motor was duly lifted into the space above the engine bay. Once into position we could see that the pump side of the motor the 2.5 engine mounting bracket was too long. So removing it and installing the 2.25 we could see that this was too short.

It also interfered with the injector pump making the engine bracket unmountable.


Well this is why we test fitted it prior to galvanizing! So we could make any fabrication modifications.
So what to do? We thought of a couple of ways to modify either the chassis mount or the engine mount. After wrestling with the problem I decided to check online with more experienced professionals in the UK.
I sent an email with photos to Richard at Glencoyne Engineering ( www.glencoyne.co.uk ) He responded overnight with clear directions as to what to do. Of course I didn't understand them so I replied again and he straighened me out. His instructions were to; remove the 2.5 turbo side mounting bracket and install the 2.25 exhaust side bracket in the forward holes in the 2.5 block.
On the other side of the motor, the injector pump side, leave the 2.5 engine mount in place and add the rubber mount. Onto the rubber mount install the 2.25 engine mount upside down.


Cut off the 2.25 chassis mount on the injector pump side.
After this is all done, lower the motor into position and bolt up to the transmission and have the turbo side mount in the chassis bracket. Hold it there with the hoist and level it out. Then weld the old 2.25 pump side bracket to the chassis.


I have all the brackets assembled and the chassis bracket removed. Brian will be over on Monday to help lower it ino position and line things up. Then I can weld it up.
Next will be test fitting the radiator support panel and radiator, which I will probably have to make bottom brackets to mount onto the front crossmember and brackets for the top of the rad panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment