Wednesday, September 28, 2011

109 paint

Well this week we started laying down the paint on my 109 Land Rover bodywork. Over the past few weeks I have been doing the prep work and priming.


Monday Brain L. came over and started appling the paint. In two days we have painted all 3 doors, wings, vent flaps, some misc pieces and the interior of the rear tub. Still to go are the outside of the tub and the seatbase, floorboards, tunnel cover, all the underseat and tool box lids. Then there is the roof and roof sides, to be done in limestone.


I wanted a different color paint than the usual Rover colors. Mainly I wanted to be visible both on the road and off road. Having worked in heavy equipment for the last 24 years I knew that the Caterpillar Yellow to be tough and fade resistant. Plus yellow was not a standard Rover color. I like to be different! I was going to have some mixed up at my FLAPS (Santa Cruz Auto Parts) for around $130USD a gallon. While researching the paint code for mixing I found a paint supplier on Ebay. I was able to purchase 2 gallons for $56USD per gallon. Another $35USD for reducer at FLAPS(friendly local auto parts supplier) and we were ready to paint.
The paint I ordered is an enamel made for CAT. CAT has had a few different yellows over the years and it is difficult(at least for me) to tell which is which on a computer screen, so this is the one I wound up with. Paint code is 4C-6129.



So here are some pics from the 2 days of painting.





No comments:

Post a Comment