Monday, August 29, 2011

109 tub paint and rear crossmember

Well I have been busy, the rear tub is stripped of paint and now I am working on stripping the seatbase after a small repair above the tunnel.

There were 2 vertical slits in it cut by a scroll saw, who knows for what purpose.....I fashoned a patch from an old piece of Birmabright and fastened it with pop rivets. That really stiffened up the seat base!
On the front line I have removed the holy exhaust system and the rear check straps. Made a trip to the dump to recycle alot of metal such as the bulkhead and lots of empty primer and jasco cans. The bonnet has been primered and lots of stuff awaits the galvanizing trip up to Oakland.
I ordered a rear cross member with extensions from John Craddock in the UK. It cost L87.41 and shipping was L55.00 for a total of L142.41. That equals $144.98USD and $91.30USD, totaling $236.28USD. A popular Vermont supplier wanted $212USD for the cross member and $119USD for the mounting kit(what ever that is)totaling $331USD. Every supplier I tried in the US said they couldn't get them anymore as the manufacturer went "out of business".
To top it off it only took four, count em 4 days to get to my house!


So today I went to Santa Cruz and ran errands one of which was to get some angle iron to make a jig for the xmember. After some preliminary measurements I picked 1 1/2in angle and purchased 5 3 foot long sections. This afternoon I set up, clamped and adjusted and finally welded my jig together.

It is a copy of the one Nitemare shared with me on the Series 2 forum in the UK. http://www.series2club.info/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=i4veopp0kv7fq1vobp0e3uhe60& These guys have been a big help to me by sharing thier knowledge of Land Rovers! Bravo!
Here is a photo of the finished jig.


No comments:

Post a Comment