Tuesday, August 2, 2011

109 bulkhead removal

Well it feels like I really got something done yesterday. Brian came over and we took off the bulkhead and with the help of my neighbors, Bob and Matt we pulled the tub and moved it over to the paint booth(under construction). I am now removing the paint with Jasco and elbow grease! The tub is the last big piece to get prepped.
The frame looks in pretty good shape with surface rust everywhere except the rear cross member.
I think I will replace the rear crossmember, the center section has some rust and dents that I am not pleased with either. I looked yesterday at the usual suspects for replacement pieces. Here's what I found; in the States, Rovers North has rear crossmember with no extensions for $212.49US then you buy a mounting kit for $119US. Rovah Farm has no product. British Pacific says they are no longer available (as of today)? In the UK, MM4x4 has them for $97.50+shipping, Craddocks for $142+shipping, Paddocks shows something without a pic for $25US./ I have emailed both the addocks to see what is correct for my 109. Paddocks also show a crossmember with extensions for $105.80+shipping. So I'll probably order from the Uk and even with shipping I'll save money!
Here is a picture of the centere steer model;
After removing the bulkhead and tub I then stripped the bulkhead and radiator panel. The panel to prep it for sandblasting and galvanizing and the bulkhead for the recycler. Doing this I found that my new bulkhead is set up for a newer Kodiak heater like a Mk3 or 4 while I have a Mk2. the hole in the footwell is in a different position. So I either have to source a Mk3-4 or have the footwell welded and cut for the Mk2.

No comments:

Post a Comment