Monday, April 8, 2024

Partial Eclipse from town!

 8 April 2024

   Where I live was too far from the center for a total eclipse, we had about 34%. We also had clear skies, better than much of the totality lane.

   I loaded up my telescope into the 109 on Sunday the day before mainly cause the eclipse started at 10:12 and I didn't want to do all that loading first thing in the morning. Leaving my place around 9:30 I drove into Boulder Creek and parked next to the bank I had gotten permission to set up in front of. Then I dragged all my stuff in 2 trips and set up. 

   The mirror had to acclimate so after a bit I checked the focus with my collimator and it was close, 10 min later and it was better, no adjustment needed.



   Once it was ready I put on the solar filter for todays viewing.


Then as if by magic the monster in the sky started taking a bite out of The Great Snickerdoodle in the Sky.


I used my point and shoot camera through the lens of my scope, the sunspots do not show up sadly.



Peoples came by and took a gander at the Celestial Extravaganza.


It took around an hour to reach maximum at 11:12


Some peoples hung around for a while and took many looks, others a quick peek and moved on. I was glad to see some kids getting a view. Then at 12:12 the moon exited the path of my view to the Sun.


Fun fact; when you get the Sun light on your Land Rover, it left the Sun 8 minutes earlier, When you look at the Sun you are looking back in time.

I had a good time, met around 20 peoples and they left happy and thankful!

My scope is an Orion 8" Dobsonian. I think they have more electronics these days.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/rc/2160/pc/1/12.uts


No Shadow People were harmed making this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment