Thursday, April 6, 2023

Transmission and transfer case storage stands

 6 April 2023


      After I built some storage shelves for my "garage", I reorganized the crepla I had all over the place. I got my gearbox and xfer case up off the floor and onto the shelves.

    I didn't like the rolling around that they did and how they could leak if set in wrong. So I decided to make some stands for them.

   For the transfer case I used the brackets to the rubber mounts and built a simple stand. Using inch and a half 1/8 thick strap I just bent it to fit on the right side and bolted that on. Next I had to bolt to the left side a piece which went backwards so that it made a 90° with the crosspiece. Prior to welding those together I made a support for the front output. You can see it in the pictures below,


The central support is made from a section of 1/2 x 2" tubing I have left over from my shelf build.
 


Once the center stand was figured out and the unit level I welded the cross piece to the left side rear protruding section.


For the main box I utilized the studs in the rear for the transfer case connection and just used some bolts in the front through the holes in the bellhousing. At which I had to sculpt the ends of some 1/8 x1" angle iron and drill some holes in it. Then I welded a piece of the 2" tubing across to brace it all.


 At the rear I just went with 2" tubing everywhere. I can't connect the front to back as the back needs to go over studs.


The shafts outside the cases are heavily greased and a waterproof cover is over the main box. My garage is unheated so winter condensation is an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment