Saturday, October 2, 2021

Coleman stove grill fix

 1 Oct 2021

    There is an issue with my old Coleman 425E 2 burner stove, that is when using my Stanley kettle the slots between the rods are too wide for the kettle to be stable.



If I wanted to use these together I needed to make something to cover the gap. I thought about expanded steel, but I don't have any heavy enough to not warp from the heat.

What I do have is some stainless bicycle spokes from an old cruiser I used to have. I used the cruiser spoke because they are thicker than road or mtb spokes. Using the end that went into the bike hub as one end it was bent into a dip to catch on the rod.




At first I thought I would just cover the area above the burners and them decided to cover as much as I can. To do that the one end was hooked and the spoke laid out to see where the furthest grill rod would land.


To hook this end needed a simple "v" style dip;


Sometimes(OK every time) the vee would be out of plane with the hook end. I fixed this by clamping the hook in my vise and using a large adjustable wrench to twist the vee into the right plane.


Then they could be installed;




Just so you know I tested the spokes, before I decided to use them, with my propane torch and got one red hot for 3 min and it didn't lose any strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment