Saturday, July 24, 2021

Land Rover 109 in Car Show!

 24 July 2021


My neighbor talked me into putting my 109 in a small local car show. I kinda cleaned it up in the days preceding and packed some of my camping stuff to set up for display. You know a table and chair, some pelican cases. I also made a poster board of a simple timeline for the rebuild.



So I was up at the ungodly hour of 0620 had a quick bowl of oatmeal made a sandwich for later packed the last few things and was off at 0700. Met my neighbor on the way and drove the 3 miles to the car show, checked in and parked in my space. Got lucky we would be under the redwoods most of the day.
I started setting up and watched other cars pull in.
    Mostly American cars from the 50's-60's, there was a Hillman and a Lotus and some loud rat rods.
I didn't think many peoples would be interested in a Land Rover and for the most part it got passing stares from the hardcore car guys.



But, there was always someone coming around and asking questions. Mostly about the engine and what are all those knobs for, do I have a PTO? Have you been any where with it?

Lots of the peoples asking questions were female! Usually with a guy.

It was a big hit with kids, I let them(and adults) climb in and sit in the drivers seat. The kids got in the back and checked out "all the stuff" sat on the open cot and had to be coerced into getting out. 1 teen boy told me it was his best of show!


Many of the men were surprised at all the work I had done. Some women expressed a desire to get something and go car camping.

I enjoyed the pancake breakfast to benefit the local volunteer Fire Dept.

There were peoples I knew from my past that stopped by and were recognized. A stranger talked to me for about 5 mins and then told me he knows of a pick up style Land Rover in someone's back yard he is going to make an offer on.

When quizzed on the engine I would tell em it has a neck snapping 113HP!


The day went by pretty well, but my bad ankle was really tired from standing.

Overall I was truly surprised by the number of peoples who came by and looked at Fluffy and asked good questions, took pictures and thanked me for bringing it to the show!


By 4pm the crowd had died down and a third of the cars left, so I packed up and left at 4:30.

All in all a nice day and I was out of the house, I have my jabs for covid and hope I don't get sick. There was maybe 1% of the peoples there wearing masks.


Got a couple more pics;




No comments:

Post a Comment