Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Land Rover brake booster servo valve

 Some time in March, 2021 I noticed my brake pedal was hard to push. I didn't use it all that often due to covid. Eventually I figured something was wrong and went searching.

What I found was my no-return valve for the vacuum line to the servo had busted. Notice even the barb into the vacuum line was broken.



Less than15k miles on  it.

Of course it was a Saturday and I waited till Monday to call Trevor at Rovah Farm 50-562-0337, We talked and he said that heat caused them to fail. So I ordered 3 of them, but he only had 1 in stock. I picked up that one and some other things and put 2 on order. My thought was that I would have some spares for out in the field.

    Well the new one came and I put it in with plenty of  Sil-glyde grease figuring it would both seal and withstand the heat.

It solved my brake pedal issue and I was happy with that, knowing I'd correctly diagnosed the problem.

When the spares arrived I thought maybe I could find some made from metal so the whole heat thing would go bye-bye. I realized I really didn't know how the servo worked so I hit up YouTube for answers. There I found a video where a guy replaces a Tacoma servo and lo and behold it's got a metal valve much like mine.

So it was off to my FLAPS where I asked Sean if he knew anything about them, but because I had no part numbers or model years Sean could only shrug. Back to YT and the video where I find out it is a 2002 Tacoma, then I search for the valve part number online and suppliers.

This all leads me to checking dimensions and seeing that for the most part they are universal with the exception of the angle of the vacuum inlet barb. After a couple of hours I found myself on the Holley website; https://www.holley.com/search/?q=AT252007ERL  Where I found the best deal on a Billet Aluminum brake check valve. Lot's of $, but if it doesn't break and leave me stranded....

I just didn't know if it would fit........

 11 May 21

It came in late today and I was able to compare it to the old Britpart one.

Diameter of the servo barb;

Britpart=15mm/.59"

Earls= 14.73mm/.58"

Diameter of the vacuum line barb;

Britpart=13.4mm/.53"

Earls=12.7mm/.5"

Britpart part # is STC493

Earls part # is AT252007ERL

There is a AT252006ERL but it has a smaller vacuum inlet barb.

Following is a pictorial comparison.





During the comparison I also test fit the servo grommet to the Earls, it is tight!



So now I have a metal body check valve that while the valve inside might fail at least the body won't leave me in the lurch. Tomorrow I'll put it on and see if my Land Rover stops ;^)


12 May 21

After taking the new valve to my FLAPS so they will know more I put it in my 109.

The removal of the new/old one was tight to the servo grommet and I had to pry with a screwdriver to get it out. The Earls slipped right in with some Sil-glyde on both barbs. After securing my tools I went out the drive and did a test stop............Bob is definitely my Uncle!

Pics from the install;



Now time will tell on the longevity!

No comments:

Post a Comment