Sunday, December 23, 2018

Problem with LR rims and Timm Cooper disc brakes

I have been chasing a noise since last spring early summer. I could only hear it when I hit 32mph and above, it was roatational and a shusch......shusch.....shusch kind of noise. With my bad hearing I couldn't tell from where it was coming from.
    I pulled apart the driveline to check u-joints, another time took apart the transmission brake to check for rubbing. Jacked up and spun all the wheels by hand. Drove to my neighbors flat drive and jacked up the rear wheels and put on jackstands and put it in gear then ran up to speed.
    I've taken the front wheel hubs apart and checked the bearings and the freewheel hubs. I dropped the rear propshaft and ran the gearbox only, put it in front wheel drive no hubs locked, locked in the front hubs and run it all up to speed each time. Several times I have prodded, shaken, examined by flashlight the whole front axle and suspension.
    Nothing no noise.   I took a non-car person for a ride they told me it sounded like water but not where it might be coming from.
    Yesterday my friend Don came over in his 88 and we went for a ride. He thought it might be the tire tread and was definitely coming from the front. We figured that I could swap the wheel on the front for my spares and see if anything changed.

    So today I spent around 4 hours mucking about with wheels. I got up and when it got semi warm(50°F) I went out and checked tire pressures. All were 35 except RtF it was 30. I had them all at 35 at one time. I checked for loose tread and tire wear, foreign objects. Next I check the toe in, it was fine at 1/8". I set up my dial indicator to check for runout and bent rims, all good.
    Taking off the wheels and putting on the spares was accomplished and I took it for a drive. I got down to the main road OK and went out, the noise was immediate and louder than before so I turned around after on about 50 yards.
    Once home I jacked up one side and spun the wheel by hand, it was hitting something. Both my standard and spare rims are 16"ers. The standard are aftermarket and the spares LR.
    I laid down under the car(again) and saw that the LR rim had one of those LR rim weights and it was contacting the Timm Cooper disc brake caliper(Defender).
    Taking off the wheel revealed the weight was hitting in 2 places on the caliper.


    My standard rims have no weights and clear the calipers just fine so this was not my issue.

The other spare had 1 weight on it and it was hitting too.


Since I didn't want to be without a spare I used a cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and removed about 1/8" of material from the weights. I had already put the standard wheels back on so have not tested clearances yet, but I am pretty confident that I'll be good.


Back to the noise issue. When I put the standard wheel back on I swapped right and left sides. After doing some clean up I went for a drive. Back out on the main drag and I got up to 32mph, 35mph, 40mph, 45mph and no noise! I was so relieved, it has really been holding me back and frustrating and depressing me, worrying that every time I drive it it will break down. I am just guessing that it was the low tyre pressure in the one tire..?

Thanks Don! Nicest Christmas present!

No comments:

Post a Comment