Friday, August 19, 2016

Land Rover 109 bottle jack storage

Drat! You know the feeling.

I went to use my bottle jack which was stowed in the tool locker in the tub. Laying on it's side. Wouldn't work of course the oil had shifted inside and wasn't ready for use. I was at home so it was not a big problem out came the 20 ton bottle jack and the floor jack and I got the job done.

   Now I needed to store the bottle jack. I used to be able to stand one up in the underseat tool box. Since putting in the extra fuel tank that option had disappeared.

What to do?.............

I started looking around inside the tub and thinking that it needed to be easy access, not under a pile of stuff when traveling and I needed it. I put the levers in the right side locker. That is when I saw a hole in the top of the wheelwell above the locker.  A quick fit with the jack showed it would fit in the space between the door frame and the hole. So I filled the hole with a 1/4-20 rivenut.



A second test fit showed that the jack would fit and gave me some dimensions to work with for a clamp. Test fitting a piece of angle iron showed the clamp would be at too much angle to lock on with good bolt pressure. It would need a spacer.

Around 6mm worked out bes,t this I cut from a nylon bushing I had with a 1/4" ID.




With the bushing located on the rivenut.




The clamp itself took many trips between the 109 and the grinder to obtain the correct fit;


Looking down on the clamp;




Here is some pics of how it sits in the tub;




...................I guess the biggest issue now is I will need a tool to get it out! I'm thinking I will replace the bolt with some sort of winghead bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment