Sunday, July 24, 2016

109 cot update

On the trip to the desert with Glenda it became apparent that my dual cot set up needed some work. The problem was the rings that I was using on the legs and spreader bars. We found out the hard way that with all the tension on them that a small bump would cause them to fly off dumping the sleeper on the floor.



I needed something more stable. With much thinking I decided that if I just drilled holes in the support tube I could both support and spread the tubes and maintain tension on the cot for sleeping.
   Once home I marked the ends of the tube for the holes;


Then drilled them;




At the other end I also wanted to make that more secure. A bit more tricky to do. What I came up with was modifying the existing U bracket with a tab over the bottom and cutting a corresponding slot in the tube. Once again marking the tube;



Then making a tab and welding it to the U bracket;



Cut the slot and mount the U bracket;



Of course there was plenty of trial and fit going on until the deed was done;




On the spreader bars I kept the ring on the side nearest the windows because it is not in the way and on the feet I shaped the top of the leg so it would distribute the weight evenly on the inside of the pipe. I had to make all new bars and legs because the new system requires longer rod sections.


Simples! then just repeat for the other side...........



I have the 2 cots color coded for parts as you may notice, white and black, each set of legs and spreader bars are kept in the overhead storage bins.

No comments:

Post a Comment