Saturday, January 16, 2016

Locking up the Land Rover, bonnet and fuel

So a few months ago I was reading an Overland blog ; http://www.overlandhb.co.za/home , In it they state that they have some 40 locks keyed alike to prevent theft. It got me to thinking.....I just have the stock door locks.

   I purchased a bonnet hasp and turnbuckle and 2 fuel cap lock hasps from Craddocks. When they came in they were installed between the raindrops.

   Starting with the bonnet I figured out where to put it and drilled a pilot hole and then a 3/16" for the pop rivet. Putting this in located the second hole and I drilled that out for the rivet too. They were both tightened up and the fit on the bonnet to radiator support was tested.




With the hasp part installed I could locate the turnbuckle and 1 by 1 I drilled pilot holes and centered the 2 upper holes, mainly for access, and finally 3/16" holes. These I filled with tapered phillips head machine screws 10-24 and nutted with nylock nuts.





That was when I discovered that the turnbuckle would not drop to the bottom, due to interference with the hasp.



At first I was disappointed, but once I put on the lock I discovered it was good because the lock would not be bouncing on the glass!



It was different with the fuel caps. On those I had to remove the screws and nuts on the original RHD side. Because it is a 3 door 109 soooo much easier than on an 88 due to the seat bulkhead being in a different position.

First the before pics;



Then checking for location;



Next removing screws and installing bolts 10-24x1"




And finally, the lock shackles were larger diameter than the cap holes so they were all drilled out. That had to be rust preventative so the caps were painted. Staying with my motif I used flat black. Then the locks installed, again keyed alike.




They do stick out more than I would like, I looked at mounting then on the top but the recess has a different shape than the hasp so it wouldn't go. Plus this way the hasp just falls out of the way when fueling.

     Now I have both fuel caps and the bonnet locked, the sand ladders are locked and block the side windows. I have seen some solid locks to put on the doors but they are expensive; http://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/M736XKAD

No comments:

Post a Comment