Friday, December 26, 2014

Layshaft woes

I ordered some bits for my gearbox a NOS layshaft(#528703) and a rear layshaft bearing(#RTC1412). These are for the Suffix C box. These from RDS and a syncro for 3-4 (#FRC1758) among other stuff from Rovah Farm. I ordered the syncro for a couple of reasons, mainly I couldn't tell if mine was badly worn or not, having never seen a new one, all I knew was, that it broke a spring and all 3 would need replacing, might as well start fresh. Turns out the brass part of the syncro shows little wear, now I have a spare.......
     When the layshaft showed up I set about cleaning up the cosomoline only to find several dings in the splines and end with some small rust spots on the race surface.





      After the weekend I spoke with George at RDS and I decided to clean it up with a jewlers file and some 1500 sand paper, I also ordered a distance piece(#502482) for the mainshaft rear which the oil flinger sits on. An hour or so filing and sanding and a few seconds on the wire wheel and the gear would slide on and off like the dings weren't there. Must have been breaktime at the factory and it just got tossed in the pile with the other bits.............

No comments:

Post a Comment