Friday, December 26, 2014

Land Rover diff damage, layshaft removal

I went ahead and cleaned up the diff pinion carrier thinking I might be able to slavage the diff with just a new crown wheel and pinion. I removed all the side gears and pins and then when wiping the carrier down I found a crack in the side.



You can also see what apears to be some type of hammering effect on the hole, I don't know what would have caused this, perhaps a previous owner.

     The next day I removed the bell housing and the layshaft from the mainbox. This box has holes in the rear of the case to punch out the rear layshaft bearing race. The last box I worked on we had to hydraulic out the race.



    While doing the work I decided to replace the PO's bent Hi-Lo(red knob) lever, It should be straight from the swivel ball up;


When doing that I found the pivot bracket for the lever had been broken and repaired and was also bent.




No comments:

Post a Comment