Saturday, October 4, 2014

Land Rover, roof top tent

   I have been thinking about sleeping on my roof for a bit as I think that I won't want to unload a ton of gear to sleep in the cot inside which I made. To that end I started on a design for a rtt using my spare 88 roof and making it into some sort of pop-up. In the end it was harder and more time consuming and costly than I thought it would be. Not as costly as a rtt but still unfinished I don't know the final cost.
    I made the rack it sits on out of Super strut and clamps of the old Con-Ferr design from Gamiviti; http://gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html
    There is a local rtt supplier(Tepui tents) that I had been to visit before the Overland Expo in Arizona and I saw them again there. I just missed one of thier tents on Craiglist for $350USD used twice. But I kept scouring Craiglist and ebay for a deal. I even contacted manufactures in China thru Alibaba, a 3-4 person for $650USD+ shipping, they wouldn't tell me shipping costs unless I ordered one....Finally I stumbled on an ad by Tepui saying they were having a sale on thier demo models. I called em up and went down to see what I could find and decide if I wanted to spend that kind of money.
    Griffin the sales guy showed me around and answered all my questions and made his recommendation. Biting the bullet an Autana model was purchased and put on the 109.   www.Tepuitents.com
    It looks like a comfortable fit for 2 and you could squeeze 4 in if you were all close good friends or quite short. I went home and opened it up and checked it out, haven't yet used it. I did discover it is alot more work to open and close than one would expect. My option was for it to open over my rear door and give shade over the cooking area. With the addition of an annex in the future there will be a contained space for upstairs and downstairs.

Crap, I deleted the pics and can't find them;





No comments:

Post a Comment