Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Land Rover fan 7 blade

I haven't tried the stock fan with this motor because with the Series radiator and the fan clutch there was not enough distance to fit it all. At first I just wanted to bolt the 7 blade plastic fan right to the pulley but of course the bolt holes are different spacing.... So that's why the 4 blade fan was used. I am still not sure if it is the fan or timing but one thing at a time, right. Last Friday I took a long hill on my way home from a bike ride. At first the temp needle climbed when the tstat opened but for once it didn't go straight to the red, instead it went about 3/4 of the way and stayed there for maybe a 1/4 mile and then slowly went to the red. Once at the top it cooled down as forward motion was kept up. This gave me the impetus to try the plastic fan. Maybe, just maybe not enough air is passing thru the radiator..... I made a steel adapter figuring I could just bolt the spacer on the fan and then to the pulley but the fan bolts were in the way of butting the adapter up to the pulley. So I made a spacer out of plywood to make it work. Yesterday I unbolted the 4 blade and put on the spacer and the 7 blade then started it up. I didn't like/trust the wood spacer but the system did work. So I took it off thinking I'd get an aluminum one made up, but while endevoring to do this the realization hit me that I could possibly just weld the adapter to the plastic fan as it has a steel center. So with careful measuring and using my abacus(calculator) I was able to center the adapter main hole in the plastic fans main hole. Then using the bolts I held it in place whist I tacked it together.
Then the back side.
Then I welded it up using water to keep the temp down so the plastic would not melt.
Once cool I prepped it for paint with rust converter and heat resistant paint.
That dried over night and today I put the 7 blade plastic fan on. It was close on hitting a hose clamp on the lower radiator/waterpump connection hose, but it's OK. I did drive it about 30 miles so far just to check it out but not up any long hills which may tax the cooling system. I will update that soon. Here's a pic of the 7 blade fan installed.
EDIT; I drove the 109 on the same hill as I did a couple of days prior to switching the fan. It was a slghtly hotter day and the temp guage stayed out of the red for about a mile but was buried in it by the time I reached the top. Then stayed near the red as I continued to climb at not so steep a slope. On the downhill it dropped back to normal. So I think the larger fan helps but hasn't "fixed" the issue. :^(

No comments:

Post a Comment