Friday, August 1, 2014

Land Rover bonnets

I took the time to fix up a couple of bonnets that I have hoping to sell them. To that end solid rivets and a rivet set were obtained from Jay-Cee Sales and Rivets,Inc www.rivetsinstock.com I bought the 3/16'x 5/16" aluminum round head rivets. These proved adequate for the frame but seem a trifle short for the tyre mounting plate. First I did the deluxe bonnet by wire wheeling the dirt/paint and corrosion from the underside of the skin.
Then a couple of coats of self etching primer applied. This being one of the hottest days of the year did not take long to dry between coats.
I then slid the galvanized frame into place and with the help of some pop rivets and nail sets, the holes were aligned and the solid rivets installed. So hot the sweat dripped from my brow on to my glasses and the work. At one point my 30 year old pop rivet tool gave up the ghost. I had to stop and change clothes and ride 15 miles to get a new one so I could finish the job. It was 95F! The air hammer made putting in the solid rivet sooo much easier than when I did my 109 bonnet with a hammer! I might have to redo it sometime...
Then I installed the bonnet catch and put the deluxe bonnet away.
I started on the Series 3 knife edge even though it was so hot mainly cause I was dripping with sweat and I had the tools out. Once again the bottom side was wire wheeled and sprayed with primer. Of course I emptied the can I had, and had to once again go and get some more, this time though it was only 5 miles away....
I left it at that for the night and early the next day I started on the rivet job. A simpler design made lining up the holes easier and putting in the pop rivets centered things up nicely. Adding the pie plate complicated it a little bit as one has to figure out which rivets to install under the plate first before securing the plate. Once again the air tool was a pleasure to use and made quick work.
You might be asking why I did not paint the tops. Mainly because some who might purchase like the "patina look" while others might want to respray in different colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment