Thursday, July 17, 2014

Land Rover 88 roof

   I have an extra 88 roof, just a regular hard top. I am working on turning it into a roof top sleeper of some sort. So to that end I put insulation and liner in it over the last few days. I used the same stuff as my 109. Insulation from Harbor Supply,  www.lobucrod.com and sliver gray #6501 liner from Perfect Fit, www.perfectfit.com  For glue I used 3M 77 spray adhesive.

First pic is the insulation,

Second one shows the liner,

I don't know if you can see at the rear I put a piece of aluminum that I formed to fit the door opening. This will give me a flat edge to provide a seal when the top is down.

     I have to decide on how I want it to open, side or end lift or a full lift. Then source struts and have some sides made. This will all sit on some plywood on top of the roof rack I made. Then there is the issue of getting up and down into the tent....
    Right now I am thinking of an end lift with a ladder up the side of the rear of the 109. This would interfer with any type of awning I want to put up over the rear door/kitchen area. A full lift would be nice for the headroom and like a front lift could be accessed by simply going up the bonnet.
   Time will tell as I sus it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment