Thursday, July 3, 2014

Land Rover 19J water pump remove, replace

   After the radiator replacement I was bummed that it didn't fix the overheating issue. So I just hesitated to change something else figuring that the whole thing is a losing cause. I'm probably right but .....

   Wanting to have a running car I set about to get some issues on my 88 fixed up. I started with the steering issue. It jumps over when you hit a bump, like the steering is too tight and sudden jarring lets the input move things. Since I replaced the swivel balls before starting the 109 project and it haden't been right since I knew it was something I did. So I set about to redo the preload on the swivel pins. I did the right then the left. On the left, one of the steering arm bolts stripped out and I had to wait for a replacement. When it came it turned out to be a right and not a left, So I had to wait again. Eventually it came via www.Pangolin4x4.com
   Once that was done I found that the brakes were not working so well after sitting for a year+. So I bled and adjusted them. That is when I found out that the wheel will rotate forward but not backward. So I ordered all new wheel cylinders.

    In the meantine while waiting to do that job I removed and replaced the waterpump on the 109. Fairly straightforward. Drain the radiator, loosen the top, bottom and bypass hoses. Loosen the alt and remove the fan belt. Pull the top hose off and loosen the 3 bolts holding the thermostat housing.


Remove the thermostat housing and then the thermostat.

The next 2 pics show the condition of the housing and the size and location of the bypass(small hole) and the heater hose(large hole). The next pic shows the new waterpump, I was interested to see the vane shape and determine the coolant flow.

Once the thermostat housing was removed I checked the head outlet.

Then it was off with the fan and pulley, followed by the 7 bolts holding the waterpump. Here's the old pump.

Not so bad should work fine, I'll keep it for a spare. Some wear on the face of the pump where the vanes slide.
    I took some pics of the interior of the coolant passages to look for wear or blockages.


Not seeing anything obvious I cleaned it up and using new gaskets put it all together. Then a test run to check for leaks.


It started up with loud clanking and soon thru a fanbelt pulley bolt I had forgotten to tighten them.....tsk...tsk...tsk! Lucky the fan didin't come off!

I have yet to take it for a run up a hill, mainly cause I don't think the old pump was bad now that I see it. Also because life sometimes gets in the way.

Today I started replacing the wheel cylinders on the 88. But that's for another page.

No comments:

Post a Comment