Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Land Rover heater valve

So with my 19J motor there was not a heater control valve for the water flow. It is unbearably warm on hot days. I never needed to turn on the heater this last winter except to demist the windscreen. I drove 70 miles on the freeway and had 140F air blowing thru the heater.
   Searching the web was/is confusing for the correct valve for this engine. Mainly due to it being metric. I wanted to put a brass hose adapter in the rear of the head and put the valve in there. I did find that it is a weird 16x1 thread. But try to find one...............I think I have a lead on one but it will get here too late for my trip.
   My fix was to go for a generic valve from NAPA #660-1140, unfortunatelly made in China, for around $30USD(are they making a killing or what!). It fits 5/8" hose and installation was easy. Cut hose, remove section, install valve, put on clamps, refill coolant.


I've not been as sucessful with my wire control though, I rifled thru my stuff and don't have a hard wire to install so I put on a wire from an old bicycle shifter. The wire is too "soft" to push/pull the full distance but I really like the look and placement. At least it can be shut off by raising the bonnet.

Drove it the other day on the same freeway run and it was noticeably cooler. My shoe still showed 125F but the airflow thru the heater box was cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment