Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Land Rover109 oil catch tank

It's working!!!!



I've just been driving around not paying much attention to it thinking it wasn't working but LOOK^^^ it is! That is after about 200 miles of driving, not much at freeway speeds. I have not drained it yet. I plan on filtering the first couple of drainings(checking for drill shavings) and putting it back in the motor. Once I am convinced it is clean it will all go back in the motor.
It feels better to know I'm not just spewing it out everywhere (and all over the back of my 109!) wasting oil and money.

If you haven't figured it out the black stuff in the sight guage is oil from the rocker cover.

   Update;

Wow is it working. I drove about 100 miles at freeway speeds and the tank filled up and overflowed into the discharge hose. Then spewed drips all over the back of my 109.
To fix it I needed to plumb the drain into the sump. The 1/4" tank flange was purchased at The Hose Shop along with a 1/4x1/4' barb and a plug. The oil sump was pulled and cleaned and I drilled-ground out a 1" hole. My friend and fellow Roverite Brett, http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/index.html  welded on the flange. My poor placement of the hole(Hey, I just followed the online drawing!) made it difficult to get the tig welder in there and the brazing under the weld is leaking oil.
    After that was all done the sump reinstalled and the barb put on showed that the barb was too long and the hose would not clear the front driveshaft.


     A barb with a 90 was procured and exchanged for the straight one. The hoses hooked up and the drain valve opened.

   I can't rotate the pics, sorry. Anywho on the last freeway run it appears to work perfectly. The rear of the 109 showed no oil vapor after 120 miles of freeway driving and at least when the motor is off the oil drains back into the sump. After stopping I never saw any oil in the tank. One issue hopefully solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment