Thursday, March 6, 2014

Land Rover oil catch tank

   Well,  I drove my 109 on the highway about 80mi. a few weeks ago. When I got to my destination the back of the car was covered in oil droplets. These had been swept up in the vacuum behind the 109 after being emitted from the rocker cover breather hose I had vented to atmosphere. It exits the RH of the rear crossmember.  Embarrassing!
    So I bought a plastic oil cyclone thingy and put it inline under the frame rail as a test with the same results. Now I went online and asked for help and found an aluminium catch tank from Darton Fabrication in the UK. http://www.dartonfabrications.com/  I only just installed it yesterday but I'm not impressed with just the 2 mile run into town and back. when I got home under idle I could still see vapor puffing out the hose.....

    Anywho, on with the installation story.

I decided to put it on the RH inner wing where it was easy to hook up the hoses, had room to drain the tank.
There was a bracket to make so I did that with a 2" wide bit of alli I had.

 I drilled holes and installed rivnuts in the bracket and used 1/4-20 ss bolts to attach. I did the same on the inner wing.


   Once I was satisfied by trial fit that it would work out. I went to The Hose Shop and purchased a 90 and a valve and a barb for draining the tank.


   This was all put together and the hoses attached top(inlet) and bottom (outlet).




Anyway it looks nice I just wish it cured my issue, maybe I'll see when I do another highway run. Not holding my breath though!

No comments:

Post a Comment