Thursday, May 9, 2013

Heater air distribution box, Kodiak, seat belt mounts

     I decided to make a new air distribution box for my heater as the one that came with the Kodiak Mark 1 on the 109 was not efficient enough. Here's a pic of the new bits I made. I went off the Mark 3 in my 88.

You can see that I have partially assembled it. I had to figure out where the holes for the demisters would be and then locate the flap valve and the opening for the passenger footwell. You can see it--the oval hole in the long center piece with the holes marked on it.
I have to make 90D tubes to come from the round holes(red) to connect to the demister hoses. The tubing for that came in today from McMaster-Carr. I bought part #5266K84--flexible duct hose, for dust 1-1/2"ID, 1-3/4"OD.

The seat belts arrived although I forgot to order the bottom mounting bracket. I decided on the inertia seat belts. These require a 4 point mounting system which is another small challenge. One is the aformentioned bottom bracket, 2 is the top above the shoulder, 3 is the reel mounted to the top of the seat bulkhead, 4 is for the stalk recepticle on the side of the seat.
I had ordered the top brackets not realizing that the reel didn't mount there.(Why not?) To put them in I held them up and marked the hole location and then drilled the holes. I am using 1/4-28 bolts so the holes are 1/4". The tops ones are 3/4" and the bottom ones are 1 1/4".


After an online search I decided to make a bracket to mount the reels to. I cut 2 pieces of angle iron 3x3x3/16" an inch and 3/8's wide.
I did the 1 3/8" width because that is the width of the galvanized top of the bulkhead. Plus the reel bolt is 7/16" dia. so I will have all the "meat" on the bracket I can. By setting and marking the locations of 2 of the rivets in the galvanizing topping I set and drilled the holes for the bolts to attach the brackets.
Once the brackets were made I wire brushed them and sprayed with rust converter. Tomorrow I will spray with bed liner. I will knock off the tops of the rivets and either put in riv-nuts or thru bolts.
For the stalk ends I am going to have to make spreader plates and figure out where and how to attach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment