Friday, August 10, 2012

Land Rover headache #109

If you remember I posted about(I think) the fit for the new Series 3 brake tower. I was awaiting pics or some further info on whether or not I had to enlarge the slot the pedal goes thru the bulkhead. Well, the other day Brian H. came to show me his refurbished Series 3 88 Gonzo. I got a good look at the pedal slot and knew what I had to do.
So next was just a simple matter of marking out the lines to cut, drilling holes at the corners and using my jigsaw cutting out the necessary metal to enlarge the slot.
WHOA NELLY!!! Did I say simple? Oh I had to make the top cut from inside the footwell...the stiffening bracket was in the way. When I went to put the brake tower on the stiffening bracket was STILL in the way! So I had to cut it off. Now I hated cutting into my galvanized bulkhead, 'cause I know that's where the rust will start.
Then I had to find and clean out the holes for both the brake and clutch towers. I could find them by pressing with my fingers and leaving a depression. I used a circular wood gouge I have to cut a nice hole around the hole thru the soundproofing.
So then I could fit the brake tower.
Which all brings us to today! I went out to fit the steering column. wouldn't slip right in. First I had to remove the brake tower. Then I got it in position and went to put on the stiffener. Well it wouldn't fit the exhaust is in the way!So I took it out and ground it down so it would fit.
But that' is not the only thing, it looks like the steering rocker shaft and drop arm will be in the way of the exhaust down pipe. Am I having good luck or what???
Then I had to do some fiddleing around to get the brake tower to fit around the steering box. This took several remove and grind off bits until I got it to fit. Once that was done I tightened up the bolt to the steering box to see just how bad the interferance is with the exhaust and by then it was too hot to work out there any longer today.

No comments:

Post a Comment