Friday, August 10, 2012

109 bulkhead bits

First thing ==== CRAP it's HOT!! I set about to put on the front door weatherstripping. I bought the Defender style one piece clamp-on ones instead of the multipiece rivet-on Series style. This involved grinding off the lip of the doors where the riveted style fit on.In the pic you can see where the new edge is.
You can see in the second picture that I also had to trim to fit around the cappings as well as other spots on the windscreen that are not shown. Installation began in the top corners, I held up the front and made marks for trimming and then using a razor knife I cut out the rubber the size I needed. This exposed the metal strips inside the seal, using a pair(?) of pliers I grabbed these strips and pulled them out. Then the seal would conform to the shape needed.
Once the top corner was fitted I used a dead blow hammer and tapped the seal inplace, first the front corner then the rear corner.
Because I had left the roof-to-side seal too long now was the time to trim it to fit both seals. This was accomplished by simply removing the "D" part of the seal and leaving the flat part.
Next I tapped the rear corner into place and worked the top section across to the front. Tapping my way down the next trim spot was for the windscreen/bulkhead junction. I fitted and trimmed this in the same manner as the corner ie...cut rubber, remove steel clips, fit. I got better at this as I went along. The Defender seals fit well around the curve of the bulkhead as I worked my way down. They did have a tendency to open up around the curve, but tapped fully down. I worked them on to the bottom and then trimed to fit for the bottom seals. Here I did a shingling effect letting the front of the side seal hang over the bottom seal.
In the picture you can see the bulge created by the bend in the seal. I used some channel lock pliers to reclamp the clips in the bends and I went around the entire seal with some large sheet metal vise grips to ensure a good hold by the clips. Some of the other pictures just show the fit at various places.
In both front upper corners I had to put some additional sealer to cover the gap left by the joining of the roof and windscreen. I used a product I got from Scotty Howat some 30 years ago, called duct seal. I rolled out a small cylinder and pushed it into the hole, it is slightly sticky so it will stay in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment