Tuesday, July 17, 2012

109 handbrake

Well, I did a bunch of stuff the yesterday. I was able to drill out the broken bit of the old zerk fitting and get it out with an e-z out.
I then installed a new one and greased it up. You can see in the photo that before I removed the drill and the e-z out I used a magnet to clean up the shavings so to keep them from getting inside the ujoint and causing failure.
Let's see what else did I do....I installed the handbrake linkage and got it operating. In order to do this I had to drill out the chassis holes for it as the galvanizing had made them too small. Small job but time consuming.
I put the clutch slave cylinder and bracket in. This took some fiddling. The 2a bell housing studs are 3/8in and the 2.5 have been switched to metric, 10mm. Slightly larger. This had the effect of causing the holes in the slave bracket to not quite line up with each other. I kept filing away at all 3 holes until it fit. I then had to get it out of the way and install the pin and split pin on the clutch cross shaft connecting tube. A really nasty job 'cause it is so tight in there! Once I had the cross tube on I could mount the bracket and slave cylinder and finish up tightening the bell housing nuts.....Aaaaa!! I was one nut short! Tomorrow for that one as it was too late to go get one.
I then installed the main gearbox lever, cleaned up and called it a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment