Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Timm Cooper disc brake conversion

I heard about these being in development last fall and was excited to have a better option for braking. They finally came available thru Roam Offroad; www.roamoffroad.com So when it came out I bought the kit of brake parts from British Pacific; www.britishpacific.com and waited for the housings to become available.
During the wait I obtained a series 3 dual circuit brake master cylinder with servo from a breaker in the UK; www.CWS.co.uk it was the hardest bit to find........

I also bought from Rovah Farm the Automec dual brake pipe kit.
Since the clutch would no longer share the fluid reservoir I updated to one with the integral reservoir. Both pedal boxes have been gone thru and the brake painted as the clutch is galvanized.
Roam Offroad contacted me in January that they would be shipping and since I have a restoration in progress and live close by, 80mi, would I like to have the inventor Timm Cooper come down and install the conversion while they took pictures for "How to---". I said Hell, Yes!
So last Friday the weather was cooperating and we could all meet at my house and do the deed!
Only one glitch slowed the start, my emails weren't going thru to Brian at Roam so the directions to my house wound up being late on the morning after they were supposed to leave....
After Timm Cooper and Brian Horner arrived they quickly got to work. I had spent the morning laying out all the parts and tools that I had for the job.


Timm was quick and obviously knew what he was doing, I tried to help by providing tools and help where I could.

We ran into one issue with the steering arms, I was converting from pendant to non-pendant and the used steering arms I obtained from Daniel Rogers(Thanks Daniel!) had the small bolt holes. I drilled them out on my drill press to the proper size.


I also didn't understand that NO BEARINGS come with the kit so assembly slowed while I removed the old wheel bearings from the hubs.


It looked to me like everything else went together nicely. there was lots of talk and picture taking and Brian L from Ben Lomond stopped by to see the work and ogle Timm's 51 V8 powered Rover.


The late start and the few miscues and picture taking got a front and rear installed and the other front swivel assembled, all by Timm (Thanks Timm and Brian!!) I had been doing some painting of parts during the day and continued on the next day, Saturday. On Sunday I had finished the installation and had all the parts painted. Monday saw me getting lock nuts for the flexhose for the front brake lines. Then I put those on.

Today(Tues) I finished up the hard line installation and did some online research on tyres, the next item to install then I will have a rolling chassis.


British Wiring emailed me today and the wiring harness came in early and will ship tomorrow so by sometime next week I should have it!
My only regret was that I didn't get the parts intime to do a really good job on the painting. But I did get to see Angus, Brian Horners dog!

Here's some other pics from the day!
An update to this page; the ROAM company no longer makes the conversion, it is now being made in aluminum by Forbyn Brothers. www.forbynbros.com Still in California.

1-8-2019 update on a problem with the conversion; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2018/12/i-have-been-chasing-noise-since-last.html

1 comment:

  1. It was such a pleasure to help with your installation Gene. Your rig is looking awesome and I am proud to have one of our conversions on it!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete