Sunday, January 1, 2012

Death Valley 2011 page 4

As I said Brett showed up and set up camp near the firepit by me. It gets cold fast this time of the year in the desert, as soon as the sun goes behind the gigantic Inyos the temp drops 20 degrees. So we quickly had a fire going and cooked dinner.


After dinner Brett headed over to the spring to socalize and take a dip. I stayed out of the water due to my toe injury. Stoked the fire and watched the stars. Awesome.........
Later we went to bed in our own 88's In the morning it was very chilly somewhere around 28F inside my 88. I was so glad that after last years trip I had bought a new sleeping bag good to 10F. Slow breakfast and lesurely morning found Brett anxious to explore Snowflake mine road and me wanting to get and early start on the long run to Trona to meet anyone showing up for the Christmas week. So we packed up and headed out. Our first stop was a short trip out on the sand dunes. I stopped behind Brett and when we left I was stuck.

Back at the springs Brett had taken my front prop shaft off so I could at least have low range 2wheel drive. I got out my strap and Brett pulled me onto more solid ground.
Then we headed south on Saline Valley Rd and took the Northern most approach rd. About a third of a mile and I abandoned my 88 and rode with Brett until we encountered a deep washout. Brett scouted ahead and decided it too difficult to continue so we went back. I picked up my Rover and we headed to the next road.


This approach(the middle one) was more doable but still rough so once again I abandoned Ignotus. Brett drove all the way up to the Beverage Cabin where we looked around for awhile. It was COLD in the shade of the Mtns!


We took the southernly approach out and it was in much better condition. Then in to pick up Ignotus. Somewhere we had decided that it was now too late in the day to head out so we went back to the Saline springs.
This being Sunday, Christmas Day, when we arrived there was a Potluck going on and a white elephant gift exchange. We picked a different camp hopeing to get more morning sun heat. Once there we fixed Brett's dragging brake shoe and adjusted the wheel bearing.
That being done we headed off to the hot pool just as dark was hitting. This evening there was a big fire and music and plenty of socalizing. I did get in the pool as I had really bandaged up my toe and felt confident it would be OK. Brett and I were in the pool for 3 hours! With lots of stimulating talk from a gal named Rose, but that's another story unto itself.
Finally hungry and tired we went to camp and cooked, ate and went to bed.
The next morning I encouraged Brett to visit the Sunrise pool. I didn't go because I had rebandaged my toe after last night and did not want to get it wet again. Upon his return we packed up and split, it being Monday morning and I needed to get to Trona Pinnacles.
Another bumpy ride over South Pass and into Panamint Springs.

Then we headed down Panamint Valley, Brett to Trona Pinnacles and I to Ridgecrest. At Trona I took Brett's 2 MT nato cans(petrol) and gave him my 2 full ones(diesel). As I headed into Ridgecrest I chanced upon Paul VKD going to the Briggs Cabin with his son Curt in his 109 Zambese. A brief chat and I was off to town.
I got about 5 miles from town when I notice my fuel guage on MT. I thought I had more in it? I pulled over to put more fuel in and realized I had given all my fuel to Brett! Well, I made it into town and kept waiting for it to die especially at the left turn light.....But I did make it to the gas station! I put in 10.6 gallons and filled Brett's with petrol.
Albertson's was my next stop as I needed to resupply for another week. I also stopped in at Walmart and bought a camping chair reluctantly, as it was made in China.
Chores finished I headed the 22 miles back to Brett only to get to Trona in the dark. Somewhere in the dark I made a wrong turn and luckily Brett was on the radio and talked me in and 2 other vehicles were leaving so I could see what road I should have been on.
For dinner I had stopped at Subway and took advantage of my warm car to eat it in. Yumm fresh vegis! Followed by another cold, beautiful, starry night!
The next morning we were going to wait until 1000 for anyone to arrive but while cooking breakfast I realize I would not have enough camp fuel to last the week. So I packed up and made a mad dash back to Ridgecrest and Walmart where I had espied fuel bottles to fit my Snow Peak giga stove. I also picked up more beer!
I managed to get back to the pinnacles by 0940 and Brett met me at the entrance. As suspected no one else showed, but I had fullfiled my promise to be there if some one did.


Brett and I headed off to the Trona Airport where a Land Rover is rumoured to be sitting. The owners were't there and the housesitter knew nothing. So it was off to the Slate Range trail.
This time Brett and I aired down and now knowing the route soon we cam to the first uphill challenge for 2x4 Ignotus. Brett went first so I could winch off him if I didn't make it. I didn't make it. I got a little over halfway up and spun out. So with one foot on the brake I took out the seat cushion and the tool box cover and dug out my winch remote, then put the cover and cushion back in place.
Meanwhile Brett had repositioned his 88 and walked down to mine, he plugged in the remote and pulled cable up to his rig and hooked it up. After he climbed in I winched myself up.
Later on the downhills it was very exciting. In low range first one of the rear wheels would lock up and skid, the other 3 wheels would just roll freely. For the last long hill I was scared, I went down with running engine, in gear with the clutch in, using only the brakes. I made it but slid in some places. WHEW!!


As with Linus, Brett decided on taking the southerly route to Wingate Rd. Once there we headed North past the CR Briggs mine and keeping an eye on the gps for the turn for South Park Canyon. We found it easy enough only marked by a small cairn of rocks. Once on the approach road we headed up and up and up!At about 3/4 of the way up there is a flat spot where I decided to leave Ignotus rather than risk breaking a rear axle on some rocky uphill turn.


So I loaded enough stuff for an overnighter in Brett's 88 and up we went. I got some video as he drove thru the wash and up over the waterfalls. Not real exciting but I'll put it on Youtube. Up at the cabins we found Paul at the Stone Cabin. He told us his alternator died.


With his trouble spelling an end for his trip unless he could find one in Ridgecrest. It was decided he would leave in the morning, and us too.
We had a great night in the cabin, even had visitors from Briggs Cabin. Learned about the Ballerat Bandit and hoisted a few beers!
The next morning we all packed up and headed out, stopping for pictures and video over the falls.

Eventually stopping at Ignotus where I could drive again.
As we exited from Ballerat there was a Range Rover coming in who I stopped to talk to. He had just bought it used and was going to do the Pleasant Canyon Loop. So I told him it was closed at Chicken Rock.
At the pavement we said goodbyes and and aired up. I followed PVKD to Ridgecrest and Brett headed for Butte Valley via Goler Wash.
I caught up with Paul in town at a auto parts store but he had no luck there. We went to another store and a salvage yard. With the same results. I decided to part ways and got some lunch and headed home.
A long drive back I arrived home around 2200 tired and ready for a real bed, but I missed being at the springs for New Years and with my Rover friends!

Today, I pulled apart my freewheeling hubs and put Ignotus up on jackstands. It appears that one of the hubs was frozen and would not engage. There was no metal chips in my diff oil. I drove it around my neighborhood in 4 low and there was no popping noises. So it may be good now.


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! I saw two of the Land Rovers from your group on the last day of our DV trip this year. We passed each other on lunch stops out near Shorty's grave on the 30th. Always good to see some Series vehicles out and about!

    ReplyDelete