Monday, September 28, 2026

Curing Defender seat rattle!

 There is so much noise in old Land Rovers! I try to track them down and quiet them.

This one took a looooooooooong time to find! I actually found it by accident. I was reaching down in the front of my seat and touched the noisemaker and it went quiet! I can't tell you how many times over the years I have felt around down there(no not down there!) and been unable to find the source.

   Lets go back a bit. I put in Defender seats in 2012 which I had found on my local Craigs list.

https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2012/11/109-seats.html

    So 14 years of rattling.

Turns out it is the lever which you pull up to move the seat back and forth. There is a spring loaded gizmo and the tubing is lightly pressed around a shaped bar of metal. There is one of these on both sides of the seat rails.


Here is are close ups of the tubing end and the spring.





It took a bit, but I got it apart and figured out I would just fill the tube with silicon and jam the bits back together.


I did this on both sides of the drivers side seat first.


Ooohhh I had a very hard time getting the spring back in place! You can see in the pic it sat down next to the gizmo and I needed it up so the gizmo would fit widthwise.


Eventually I got it and learned that I didn't have to take the spring off. On the passenger seat I just pulled the tube off and filled it with silicon and put it back on.

So both sides are done and it has really made a difference, especially at idle!



No comments:

Post a Comment