Saturday, February 22, 2020

Land Rover trailer legs

If you have followed this blog you know I have a trailer made from an 88 tub. Due to the pivot point of the axle there is not enough weight forward of it to allow for 200# me to sit on the tailgate or inside the bed.

So I need to have something to stabilize the back when not hooked up to the 109 hitch. I thought up some elaborate hinged folding legs, but they were to complicated for my taste. You know me, KISS!

Next I dreamed up these legs. I just needed to find a way to attach them. Hmmmmm...

Screw on legs, But how? Where? Outboard would be best. Then I remembered the holes cut in the bottom of rear crossmember. Those would provide access for my plan!



I obtained some large bolts and nuts. Two of the nuts I welded to the ends of some conduit so the bolt could thread down the inside.



The 2 bolts I put in the upper part of the crossmember. To do this I needed to find the center of the lower hole and mark it in the upper steel. Then a series of holes drilled to fit the diameter of the bolts. That was the easy part.........In the above pic you can see a triangle brace on the tub above the crossmember, well this is in the way of dropping in the bolt.




Plus the side of the quarter panel is in the way of getting a wrench on the locknut.
I had to unbolt the tub from the rear crossmember and jack up each corner in turn to drop in the bolt and tighten the nuts.




After it was all rebolted together it looked like this with the legs on.



Yesterday I made some 2" round discs for feet and welded them on to the legs. And painted everything all up. I used yellow paint 'cause it is in my color scheme and very visible if laying on the ground when packing up.




The trailer with the front hitch leg down for support the rear legs can be brought into play. This makes the trailer stable both fore and aft and side to side.

Then I got the idea I should have used quick disconnects............

No comments:

Post a Comment