Friday, March 29, 2019

Land Rover 200TDI oil issue resolved

Well, if you are a follower you know I took out the first 200 which I used to replace the 2.5DT with bad rollers. I took out the first 200 because it kept spitting oil out the exhaust and despite valve seals and a head job and eventually a different head I went with a long block from the UK for a replacement last Autumn.

    It stopped raining long enough so I decided to tear the old one apart and see what was wrong inside.I started with what had been sitting under a tarp.





First removed the ladder frame;



Then unbolted the crank bearings;



You can see some were quite worn.



Unbolted the connecting rods and pulled the crank out;

It looks pretty good considering.

Then out came the pistons starting with #1. #2 I had to pound out with some wood blocks;



#2



#3



#4


I kept everything organized



Removed the lifters and rollers;



Then bagged the rollers and removed and bagged the bushing for the oil pump/vacuum pump.




After it was all apart I got to examine things. I found #2 was/is a wreck. Gouges in the cylinder wall and rusting.


Then on to #2 piston. It looks that the bottom piston ring was installed wrong or it had catastrophic failure at some point.



Likely scenario, It is a STD piston so maybe the factory guy put it in and the ring compressor wasn't quite on right and the ring caught on the edge of the cylinder, so he slammed it in with a block of wood or a wooden hammer and the ring lifted and the spring popped out. But hey it ran and it was late Friday after all......
   It went into a Disco that always had oil issues and got scrapped under the lemon law(does UK have one?) and trickled down the supply chain to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment