Sunday, May 6, 2018

Land Rover 200TDI oil in exhaust

Ugh!  I've been reluctant to deal with it but it has kept me from traveling far as the oil consumption was/is too great to go anywhere over say 100 mile with out fear of running the sump dry.

Since I had the head reworked in 2015 I was hoping that it was and was not it. As in maybe just a valve stem seal for a simple fix.

As Spring came this year and we got several days of sun and warmth in May I decided to change out my head gasket which had oil leaking out at the front.


Not my first time with a LR head off so other than the usual struggle with the exhaust down pipe things went well. I pulled the head off and here's what I found;
The block with and without gasket;



The head, showing #3;


Now the valve stem seals all look good and are the genuine Corteco ones ETC8663.

So I decided to swap out the head for my spare which was also rebuilt, not locally but in the UK.


Got it installed and all buttoned up over the course of a couple of days. While I had the head off I checked the injector pump timing with the #1 cylinder at TDC, I was only off .005 with the dial caliper depth gauge down the injector hole trick!




Ran it at idle, tightened up hoses and had to redo the valve cover gasket and took it for a test drive of around 4 miles.  After the usual oil and coolant leaks were taken care of and while fiddling with the valve cover gasket I re-adjusted the valves. I was thinking I had finally got it when I saw oil bubbling out where the turbo bolts to the exhaust manifold. Strange I don't have that picture.......

Well my next step was to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds and make sure that the turbo was not the culprit, that the turbo oil return line was not plugged. As it is a relatively new turbo I hoped it wasn't it. Struggling with the downpipe again I could see fresh oil in the top of it and so too in the exhaust side of the turbo.


and the exhaust manifold was a mess;



It all appears to be coming from the head;


From the exhaust ports. The intake side is clean;


So I cleaned things up a bit and ran the engine at idle without the manifolds on and in about 2 min this is what I could see in #3 cyl #5 valve;



Hopefully here's the video;


Now weighing my options. Do I pull the engine and rebuild it, Do I pay someone else to pull the engine and rebuild it. (my driveway is on a slope and gravel), Do I buy a 3/4(long) block from somewhere in the UK and just put that in, Do I take this time to put in the Mercedes conversion or finally use that Scotty Chevy conversion adapter I've had kicking about for all these years, or............Whatever it is you'll be first to know, well maybe not but I'll get around to putting it on here...... ;^)

No comments:

Post a Comment