Friday, November 16, 2012

109 seats

Ok this was the next thing to have to be redone. The fitting on the fuel tank sat too high to let the seatbase lid sit properly. I had to lower the fuel tank....both ends.... In a way it made things easier for the next time. I had 5/16" stainless steel bolts holding the tank in place. All I did was take the Nyloc nuts off and put new hex nuts, also stainless, on. Complete with washers this spaced it out enough. The benefit is that now the bolts are solid and only the nuts have to be removed to drop the tank.I never have to (I hope) get into that crazy little space to hold the rear bolt heads!
Now the lid will clear!
The bottom pics show the spacers added to the underside of the fuel tank. I found some Defender seats on Craigslist in nearby Carmel. Thanks, Mack! So after the seatbase was in I put in the passenger seat (RH).
Once mounted I got in to try it out. As I closed the door I found that it was too close to the door so it would have to be moved over. I ran it forward and back on the slide to see that that bit worked. When the seat was removed I noticed a scratch on the seat base. I thought I had done it when setting the seat in place. I moved the seat over and bolted it back in and again climbed aboard to check the fit. It was now far enough from the door and moved fore and aft easily. I then checked how the seat bottom came out and pulled it up. There I discovered another scratch in the seatbase paint. I knew I didn't do this one putting the seat in, so I started looking for the cause. It was the back edge of the bar used to unlock the slide. There wasn't enough clearance to let it slide...It is always something ain't it! So again I went to Fastenal and bought some thick 1/4"id stainless washers. They are 1/8" thick, so by stacking 2 in the front and 1 in the rear I was able to raise the seat enough to clear the base with the slide mechanism.
Next up I put on the radiator and filled it up with a 50-50 premixed brew. And guess what???? NO LEAKS!!!!
Then we had a slight rain and I found out my roof leaks. @#$%^&*(!!!! I couldn't tell that day where it was comming from but today it is raining once again and I know where now and have to wait for it to dry out before I can attempt to seal it.

No comments:

Post a Comment