Saturday, October 27, 2012

tub time!

I got the roof and tub off last week and spent the last 2 days cutting off my old welds for the rear crossmember, then lining up the same in the correct position. I wound up using the overall length 166 63/64in dimension. It was too difficult to try to go off the centerline of the rear spring hanger bolt hole(18 1/8). I also went off the outriggers which hold the tabs for the rear tub(81 1/2in) because the fuel tank was in the way for getting the overall length on that side. I also made sure that the tub measurement for the tabs was correct for where my new location was. Then I welded it up. Somewhere in the welding process the string I had attached to the wires got burned thru. Good thing it wasn't the wires! Hey I did something right for once! Since the string was in the frame rail I had a dickens of a time getting the wires back out. I fnally resorted to making a hook out of brazing wire and catching the knot holding the string onto the wire. I still have to finish it off the bottom side has a couple of holes I need to reweld. Then I will clean it up with a wire wheel and spray cold galvy (93% zinc) over the area and then cover that with spray on bed liner. That should add corrosion help(zinc) and a barrier for mosisture penetration(bedliner). Next will be to scrounge 3 people to put the tub and roof back on before it rains again.

No comments:

Post a Comment