Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Land Rover 109 roof rack

   I have decided that it would be easier to sleep on the roof if I can. So to do this I need a roof rack. The ones online are waaay too expensive for what you get! Heck, I'm a retiree not a dotcom-er.
  So questions on forums and searching the web found this website; http://www.gamiviti.com/ selling the old Con-Ferr gutter mount roof clamps. This is a strong and clean design, though not cheap! Biting the bullet 2 sets were purchased.
 I assembeled 1 to see how they went together and to get the height measurement.

Then taken out to the 109 and compared with the roof.

Next a set of measurements were needed to design and fabricate some riser extensions.


Measurements were made on both a tropical roof and a standard roof. I made my extensions long enough for the tropical roof variety. Using 3.5x6x3/16" flat steel, holes were drilled 1" from each end giving a 4" extension. At Home Depot I bought 2-10' lengths of Super Strut. This gives me 4 pieces of 60" for the crossbars. I chose the smaller cross section for aerodynamic reasons(I know, I know... it's a flying brick!).



After the first set was made up and tested I did the reamaining sets and all was put together and fitted then taken apart and cleaned and coated with spray on truckbed liner  from Duplicolor. Once dry reassembled and installed on the 109.


Now I have to figure out the rest of the platform.............

No comments:

Post a Comment