Thursday, March 6, 2014

Land Rover 109 rear door stop

    On another front I was lots more successful with making a door stop to hold the rear door open when it is on the uphill side. I got the idea the other day at my daughters when I used a piece of wood to hold it open.

   I used a 23"x1/2" square tubing I had. It was the right size for what I had in mind. Somewhere over the years I had aquired 2 3/8" drive universal joints. I took one and it fit perfectly into the ID of the tubing. So I took the UJ apart and ground down a 1/4-20 nut and welded it on the drive end of the UJ.



Then using that I could position it and locate a place for a hole in the rear door inside panel. Mine is made of steel so I'm not too worried about the stress.


Once the hole was located and drilled I could find the length for the leg by jamming it into the corner of my reciever hitch.


Then with that length determined I welded the square end of the UJ into the tubing. Next up was determining how to hold the leg out of the way when not needed. At first I thought it would just fit flat against the door but the UJ prevented that. So I resorted to using 2 crank handle clips I had lying about. These were installed with 10-32 rivnuts.


Pleased with how it was all going to work I painted the leg with truckbed liner and let it dry overnight. Below are the finished pictures!




   So now it's been awhile since I did this and I have an update; Apparently I cut the rod too short but not by much. The situation arose when I drove the 109 with the doop propped open, well the door swung open a little more and the rod dropped off the reciever hitch. No biggie, nothing broke.
   It took me awhile but I figured out a solution to keep the end in place after rejecting many ideas on modifing the reciever with some kind of capture device. It came to me that I already had one in the hitch keeper pin.
    A fairly simple job to figure out the correct angle and length of the 1"x1/8" flat stock and cut the rod and weld it up. It still fits in the door clamp too!



No comments:

Post a Comment