Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Land Rover not leaking!

    Well, one of the options for stopping the leaking injector fuel pump came in late today. It is the one from Diamond Diesel in Oakland.

 

The individual bits were put together. First the 2 o-rings went on followed by the dowty washer. In the pic I put the ball in just to show where it fits.



    Then I went out and pulled the old leaky diaphragm out. I can now tell you that probably one reason that it leaked was due to no dowty washer..... The dowty washer is a split washer that evidently seals between the upper and lower parts of the bolt. On the packing invoice the dowty washer is called a backing ring and is part # 7182-423, a Delphi part.
    Here is a look up the headbolt hole;


   Then the ball was placed in the bolt and the bolt screwed into place. Once tightened there was no leak without pressure.


     After a short wait the motor was started. While still in the cab I could tell that it went to an even and stable idle very quickly. Before I would have to nurse it to idle until it warmed up a bit. This last pic is with the motor running and the pump at full pressure.   NO LEAKS!!!!!



   Tomorrow I go for a drive!!!!

     The new diaphragm part should be in within a week, it should have shipped from the UK, Barry4x4, today.

4 comments:

  1. Can you tell me the part number for the 2 o rings as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number I have for them is DL--7185-950FR, that is off the Diamond Diesel invoice.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reply.

    Any chance that you also ordered the headbolt itself, the ball for the headbolt, copper washers for the banjo bolts? Solving the same problem on my 12j engine's DPA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same source; Ball DL--NC7-8, Backing Ring DL--7182, Not sure what you mean by headbolt, I ordered the head locating fitting, the number for the non-diaphram is shown in the top photo.

    HTH

    ReplyDelete